When you contact DCVB, as with many CVBs, be prepared to provide or discuss the following information:
- type of reunion (family, school, military)
- desired dates (flexibility strengthens rate negotiations)
- anticipated attendance
- agenda or schedule of events
- special needs (shuttle bus, props for theme parties, activities away from the hotel, disabled members, catering)
- Brenda Donald, Stone Mountain, Georgia, 71st Donald Family Reunion organizer, reported that DCVB found hotel rates and planned a welcome dinner, a special reception, an African-American Heritage Tour and a picnic all within her budget.
Stone Mountain Park is a popular DCVB area reunion destination with many choices for activities including an antebellum plantation, several museums, hiking, fishing, golf and biking. There’s a laser show nightly during summer. For your custom reunion package, contact DeKalb Convention and Visitors Bureau; 800-999-6055; http://www.dcvb.org.
Daytona Beach, Florida, is a popular destination for many reasons and reunions benefit from all of them. The Daytona Beach Area Convention and Visitors Bureau (DBACVB) is eager for the opportunity to convince you to consider them for your reunion location. They will help you promote your reunion to increase attendance. They’ll provide brochures, maps and publications listing all the reasons your members want to visit Daytona Beach. They help by contacting area hotels, vendors and services. Unique entertainment available includes flying an aerial message over the beach or hiring a sand sculptor to create an original masterpiece on the beach in front of your hotel. For touring, there is the Angell & Phelps Chocolate Factory (904-252-6531), Daytona Flea & Farmers Market (Friday, Saturday and Sunday, 904-252-1999) or Mary McLeod Bethune Foundation home (904-255-0415). Not surprisingly, sports are great reunion magnets. In Daytona Beach infinite choices abound – golf, deep sea fishing, snorkeling, scuba diving and tennis to start. Contact DBACVB, 126 E. Orange Ave, Daytona Beach FL 32114; 800-854-1234.